Engaged Learning Paper
Gender and STEM assignment
For this assignment, you will read the American Association of University Women 2015 report, Solving the Equation: The Variables for Women’s Success in Science and Engineering, found here: https://www.aauw.org/research/solving-the-equation/ and answer the following questions in a 3-4 page paper:
1. What are the facts of gender in STEM fields – the statistics, trends, gaps by gender as it intersects with other identities such as race?
2. What are the key issues facing women in STEM today that are keeping the gender gap wide?
3. What are some of the implications of this for both fairness and efficiency in the STEM fields?
4. What are some things that schools and workplaces (and individuals) can do to address these issues and make STEM more fair and efficient?
5. How does the presentation of issues and solutions in this report conform (or not) to your own experience with gender issues in science and engineering on this campus? Here you may also want to talk to some classmates about this and include it in your paper, while noting that one or two anecdotes are not a substitute for statistical research it can provide a personal element to your analysis. What might account for any differences between national and local trends if you did find any?