CIS 518 Assignment
Assignment 2: Requirements
In a previous assignment you were tasked to develop a Web-based student registration system. This Web-based system allows students to register for classes, authenticate their credentials, and select classes for which they are eligible to register. It also registers the students, prints a confirmation receipt, and prepares a registration invoice. You created a project plan proposal to senior management and they liked it, giving you the green light to start with the project. Now, it is time to define what the student registration system should do.
Write a five to six (5-6) page paper in which you:
1. Select a requirement specification technique that you would use to state the requirements of this software system and explain the reasons for the selection.
2. Specify the requirements for registering a student for a class based on the selected technique. You can make any assumptions that you need to complete the specification as long as you state them clearly in the response.
3. Create the necessary diagrams through the use of graphical tools in Microsoft Word or Visio, or an open source alternative such as Dia that illustrates and complements the specification. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
4. Write a validation and verification plan to validate and verify the requirement.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
• Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
• Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
• Include charts or diagrams created in Visio or Dia. The completed diagrams / charts must be imported into the Word document before the paper is submitted.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Describe the different types of requirements that include abstraction and modeling techniques.
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in software engineering.
• Write clearly and concisely about advanced software engineering topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.